TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Fannin County TX
Fannin County

Counties
Texas Counties


Texas Towns
A - Z



 


LADONIA, TEXAS

Fannin County, North Central Texas / East Texas

3325'46"N 9556'48"W (33.429336, -95.946668)

Texas Hwys 34 and 50, Farm roads 2456 and 64
16 Miles SE of Bonham the county seat
12 miles S of Honey Grove
10 miles NE of Wolfe City
14 miles N of Commerce
32 Miles NW of Sulphur Springs
27 Miles N of Greenville
NW of Dallas
ZIP code 75449
Area code 903
Population: 627 Est. (2019)
612 (2010) 667 (2000) 658 (1990)

Book Hotel Here › Bonham Hotels

Ladonia  Texas - Clock
Ladonia
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017

History in a Pecan Shell

The area was settled around 1840 by James MacFarland and Daniel Davis. James H. Cole, is credited with platting the town around 1855. The community had been known as McCownville but in 1857 the name was changed supposedly to honor La Donna Millsay, a Tennessean singer who entertained the town.

The name La Donna was submitted to the postal authorities for a post office and when it opened in 1858 no one was sure of who was responsible of the slight change in spelling. In 1887 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad arrived and the town grew to a respectable population of 350 (more or less). Ladonia became a shipping point for cotton, corn, and grain crops. In the 1890s the population grew to an estimated 1,500 people and 2,000 by the end of that decade. In the throes of the Great Depression the population fell to 1,199 and never recovered . By the 1970s it was down to just over 800 residents. By 1990 it reported a population of 658. and for the 2000 census it had risen to 667.

See
Ladonia Historical Marker
Ladonia Cemetery Historical Marker

Ladonia, Texas Landmarks



Ladonia  Texas -  Downtown
Part of the old downtown area of Ladonia.
The two older buildings were built in 1897 and 1898.

Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia  Texas -  1897 building
The 1897 W.B. Merrill Building
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia  Texas -  Downtown
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia  Texas -  Buildings
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia  Texas -  Old Hotel
Approaching the old former hotel
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia Tx former hotel building today
Former Ladonia Hotel restored
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia Tx Closed Hotel
The hotel building in 2006
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006

More Rooms with a Past


Ladonia  Texas -  Granny's Place
Granny's Place, one of the businesses that appears to be operational, although it was closed at 3PM on a Tuesday.
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Ladonia  Texas -  Signs
Signs, Signs, Signs everywhere!
Photo courtesy Texana Pictures - Frank R. Brown, April 2017


Downtown Ladonia Tx
Downtown Ladonia
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008


Downtown Ladonia Tx
Downtown store fronts
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006


Ladonia Tx - Ladonia Presbyterian Church Building, Heritage Hall
Former Ladonia Presbyterian Church - now Heritage Hall
201 Paris St.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997

Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006

Historical Marker: 201 Paris St.

Ladonia Presbyterian Church Building


The Ladonia Presbyterian Church, U. S. A., originally organized in the mid-19th century, erected this structure between 1910 and 1912. The building contract was awarded to W. H. Markley of Commerce for $6,400. An excellent example of 20th century Mission Revival style adapted to an ecclesiastical mode, the structure exhibits fine detailing and proportions with a simplicity of form. The congregation was dissolved by 1976. The character defining central parapet was reconstructed in 1997.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997

Ladonia TX United Methodist Church
United Methodist Church in downtown Ladonia
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008


Ladonia TX Church
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008
More Texas Churches


Ladonia TX City Hall
Ladonia City Hall
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008


Ladonia TX Volunteer Departyment &  Fire Engine
Ladonia Volunteer Department & fire truck
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008


Ladonia TX architectural details
Ladonia detail: 1897
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008
More Pitted Dates


Ladonia TX Victorian
"A beautiful Victorian that's the most impressive thing in town."
- Mike Price, April 2008 photo
More Victorian Architecture


Ladonia TX Architecture
More Victoriana
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006


Ladonia TX closed Gas Station
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008
More Texas Gas Stations


Ladonia TX Water towers
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008
More Texas Water Towers


Ladonia TX Historical Marker
Ladonia Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Mike Price, April 2008

Historical Marker: on Town Plaza

Ladonia

Settled about 1840 by James McFarland and Daniel Davis, this community was first called McCownville after early settler Frank McCown. The town's first merchant, James H. Cole, a carpenter who moved to the county in 1855, planned and staked out the town site and included wide streets. According to local legend McCown changed the town name in 1857 to honor Ladonna Millsay, a traveler on a wagon train from Tennessee who entertained residents with her singing. By 1858 the settlement had a post office named Ladonia.

The town grew rapidly after 1860 because of its fertile farming area. The community incorporated in 1885 and had a population of 700, two cotton gins, a bank, a flour mill, a school, and several churches. The arrival of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in 1887 made Ladonia an agricultural marketing town for cotton, corn, oats and wheat and resulted in a business boom. The population had increased to 2,000 by 1897 and the town included 100 businesses.

The town declined slowly as agricultural goods were shipped over improved roads and citizens moved to larger cities. By 1936 Ladonia had 1,119 citizens and 39 businesses. By 1990 the population was 658.
(1997)



Historical Marker: near intersection of 200 Church and 200 Paris St.
Ladonia Cemetery
The principal burial ground for members of the Ladonia community, this graveyard has historically been divided into two sections: The I.O.O.F. (Odd Fellows) Cemetery and the Presbyterian Cemetery.

The oldest recorded grave, that of Joe Shelby (d. 1866), infant daughter of J. E. and S. T. Shelby, is located in the Presbyterian Cemetery section. Also in that section is the "Stranger's Tomb," marking the grave of an unknown traveler who died in October 1867. Another early burial is that of William Lovelace Foster (1830-1869), Civil War veteran and pastor of Ladonia's first Baptist church at the time of his death.

The I.O.O.F. section of the cemetery was originally maintained by the local Odd Fellows Lodge. The earliest recorded grave there is that of Mrs. P. T. (Marie) Hockaday (1838-1881). The Lodge continued to care for its section of the cemetery until about 1902, when management of the two sections of the graveyard were merged.

Those interred in the Ladonia Cemetery include veterans of the Civil War, World War I, and World War II, as well as early settlers of the area, Fannin County officials, and many generations of Ladonia citizens.
(1988)



Ladonia Recreation
Ladonia Fossil Park - 2 miles (3 km) north of Ladonia on the North Sulphur River.



Take a road trip
Central Texas North | East Texas

Ladonia, Texas Nearby Cities & Towns:
Bonham the county seat
Honey Grove
Wolfe City
Commerce
Sulphur Springs
Greenville
Dallas
See Fannin County

Book Hotel Here:
Bonham Hotels | Dallas Hotels | More Hotels
Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved