|
History
in a Pecan Shell
The community began
in the 1840s and a post office opened there in 1848.
In 1854 the name of the town was changed to Dura, and later
that year to Duroc. In 1890 it became Roweville and
remained under that name until 1893 when it finally became Cedar
Lake.
In 1896 the population was ten. A general store opened sometime before
1914. Cedar Lake lost its post office in the 1930s and by 1940 it
had a population of 50.
In the late 1960s the population dropped to just 40 then unexpectedly
to nearly 150 by the end of that decade. It has since increased to
160 for the 2000 census. |
Cedar Lake,
Texas Landmarks
|
The new Bethlehem
Christian Church
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2009 |
The old Bethlehem
Christian Church
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2009 |
| Texas
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact
us. |
|
|