TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map


People




Counties
Texas Counties


Texas Towns
A - Z

 


Texas | People

GENERAL
HIRAM BRONSON GRANBURY

Born in 1831
Killed in Action at Franklin, Tennessee 1864


by Sam Fenstermacher

General Hiram Bronson Granbury statue
General Hiram Bronson Granberry surveying the square in Granbury
Photo Courtesy Sam Fenstermacher

While the descendents of the General spell the family name Granberry and it appears as Granberry on his tombstone, the town and his statue on the courthouse lawn are spelled Granbury as are most historical references to the man.

General Hiram Bronson Granbury statue  inscription
The inscription on the base
Photo Courtesy Sam Fenstermacher

The son of a Mississippi Baptist minister, Hiram moved near Waco in the 1850s where he became a lawyer and served as chief justice of McLennan County. During the Civil War Granberry recruited troops to serve in the Waco Guards, a unit in General Gregg's brigade.

As a Major, Granberry was captured by Union troops in February of 1862. After an officers' exchange that same year, he was promoted to Colonel upon his return to duty. Granberry saw action in Louisiana and Mississippi was wounded at Chickamauga and saw further action at Missionary Ridge. He eventually commanded his own brigade and became Brigadier General in early 1864. He served in Cleburne's division of Gen. Johnston's Army of Tennessee and led his troops in General John B. Hood's invasion of Tennessee. It was at the battle of Franklin in late1864 that Granberry was killed in action. First buried near where he fell, his body was reinterred near Columbia, Tennessee and in 1893, twenty-eight years after the end of the war, his remains were brought to the Texas city named in his honor.

General Hiram Bronson Granbury statue
General Hiram Bronson Granbury statue
Two views of the statue showing the inscription.
Photos Courtesy Sam Fenstermacher

Granbury is the county seat of Hood County -named after Granberry's commanding officer. Hood County sits in a cluster of Texas counties named after Confederate generals Cleburne, Gregg, and Johnson.

The statue on the courthouse lawn was imported from Italy while the base was furnished by Waxahachie monumentalist James Youngblood. It was erected in 1913.




Copyright 2006 by Sam Fenstermacher, All rights reserved

See Granbury, Texas

Related Topics:
People
Texas Statues


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved