courtesy Pam Powell, January 2005
in a Pecan Shell
In the early 1840s settlers established a town named after local native
Mustang grapes. Cochran It was later changed to Farmers Branch. In
1845 the first office of the Texan Land and Emigration Company, AKA
the Peters Colony was located there and a school was in operation
(utilizing a church building) by the following year.
The post office was granted in 1848, closed by 1866 and reestablished
The town had Dallas
County's first blacksmith, gristmill and cotton gin.
The Dallas and Wichita Railway passed through Farmers Branch in 1878
but in 1881 it was absorbed by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas in 1881.
The population reached 100 by 1890 and 300 by 1917.
After WWII infrastructure
was expanded and a new artesian well was drilled.
By the mid 1950s an estimated 80 percent of Farmers Branch citizens
worked in Dallas.
Branch Historical Park
City of Farmers Branch
13000 Wm. Dodson Pkwy · P. O. Box 819010 · Farmers Branch, TX 75234
Phone:972.247.3131 · Fax:972.247.4836
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
- Book Here