A stone silo and garage in Paradise is typical of the rockwork found throughout
TE Photo, February 2004
in a Pecan ShellOriginally
called Eldorado when it was settled in the 1870s, the name was rejected
by postal authorities. Paradise Prairie was suggested - accepted - and
then shortened to its current name. A post office branch started operation in
1876. Like most towns of its era, nothing much happened until the railroad arrived.
In this case it was the Rock Island line and the date was 1893. And like most
towns of its era - it moved to be near the railroad. In this case it was only
a mile NE.
The town prospered despite its proximity to the county seat
of Decatur. Paradise in 1900 had two
cotton gins, two hotels and a newspaper - the Paradise Echo - plus the
normal quota of churches and schools for a town its size.
rose and fell, but never went over 500 Paradisians. People started commuting to
Fort Worth after WWII
and the population dropped - it was estimated at 275 in the 1980s and has since
increased to the current (2005) figure of 450.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here