in a Pecan Shell
During the Civil War the area was evacuated due to Indian attacks.
The town didnít develop until several years after the war was over.
A post office was granted in 1875 although the town only had a population
of 50 in the 1880s. With no hope of getting a railroad, Riverland
remained under-populated and in 1905 the post office closed.
A two-room, seven-grade school was still in operation in the 1930s,
and a few essential businesses held on, but in 1936 the population
was a mere 20. The building fell to ruin and today only the cemetery
is left along with a few scattered residences.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact