TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : COUNTIES : : TOPICS : : HISTORY/OPINION : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP


ROCKWALL, TEXAS

Rockwall County Seat, North Central Texas

Intersection of State Hwys 66 and 205 (Just N of I-30 / US 67)
Overlooking Lake Ray Hubbard
23 miles E of Dallas
Population: 39,322 (2010) 17,976 (2000)

Book Hotel Here > Rockwall Hotels

Rockwall Texas - The Rock Wall
"The famous "rock wall" for which our town is named."
- Carolyn Holt, Museum Curator
Photo courtesy Rockwall Historical Foundation Museum
Situated on a hill with a commanding view of the lake and distant Dallas (actually Rowlett and Mesquite) it's a shame that there's not more of Rockwall.


History in a Pecan Shell


Once a part of Kaufman County, the land was originally settled by the Boydstun family of Illinois in the 1840s. In 1852 Elijah Elgin donated forty acres to establish a town.

The name comes from the 1851 discovery of a rock outcropping that appears (to some) to have been constructed by man.

The town formally came into being on April 17, 1854, the same year a post office opened.

The split with Kaufman County came in 1873 when the state legislature declared it separate and naturally Rockwall became the county seat.

In 1886 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad arrived and the economy responded accordingly. Farmers and merchants from Blackland and Heath, Texas moved into Rockwall raising the population to nearly 1,000 in 1890.

In 1893 Wells College opened and the population continued to grow. The Great Depression saw a slight decline, but after WWII it again increased.

In 1970 it was more than 3,000, but compared to neighboring Dallas it was still a small town. That changed with the construction of Lake Ray Hubbard. By the 1990s it reported a count of 10,486 to census enumerators.

Rockwall, Texas Landmarks / Attractions

TX - Rockwall County Courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, September 2014
Rockwall County Courthouse
Rock wall in Rockwall Texas
A portion of the subterranean rock wall, for which the county is named, sits in front of the courthouse.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, June 2007
Rockwall Texas - Rock Wall
"The size of the stones, the regular lines in which they are laid, and the mortar between them are shown in this photo. This excavation was made by a Mr. Sanders of Fort Worth in 1949."
Courtesy Rockwall Historical Foundation Museum
Rockwall TX -  MKT Depot, built 1925,

Rockwall's MKT Depot, built 1925, now a dentist office
Photo courtesy
Dylan Gielow, October 2014
More Texas Depots

Rockwall TX - Historic Rockwall County Courtroom

Former County Jail, located on the top floor of the former courthouse
Photo courtesy Dylan Gielow, October 2014
More Texas Jails

Rockwall TX - Former Magnolia Station

Historic Rockwall County Courtroom
in the Art Deco Courthouse on the square

Photo courtesy Dylan Gielow, October 2014

Rockwall TX - Former First Baptist Church

Former First Baptist Church
Photo courtesy Dylan Gielow, October 2014

Historical Marker (at the corner of S. Goliad and Boydstun Street, Rockwall)

First Baptist Church of Rockwall

Organized in 1852 by Elder John R. Briscoe and Elder M. Glover in the home of J. C. Williams, this was originally called New Hope Baptist Church, as Rockwall was not founded until 1854. Charter members: Hester, Isaac, James, Mildred, and Persila Briscoe; Felitha, Martha and Rosana Jones; Hannah Thompson; J. C. and Nancy Williams. First regular pastor was the Rev. H. E. Calahan. After years in homes, schoolhouses, and a Masonic hall, the congregation occupied a building of its own in 1876; present sanctuary, 1970. This is the oldest congregation in the Dallas Baptist Association.
(1976)
Rockwall TX - Former First Methodist Church

Former First Methodist Church, built in 1912
Photo courtesy Dylan Gielow, October 2014
More Texas Churches

Historical Marker (at the intersection of S. Goliad and Damascus Streets, Rockwall)
First United Methodist Church of Rockwall
This congregation developed from early worship services conducted by area pioneers in the home of Mrs. Hugh Shaw. The church was formally organized in 1856, several years prior to the formation of Rockwall County. Constituted with less than twenty members under the direction of the Rev. J. A. Scruggs, the small fellowship met in the local Masonic lodge building until the first sanctuary was constructed at 102 North Fannin Street in 1874. The one-room frame structure featured a belfry and a tall steeple. During its first three decades, the First Methodist Church of Rockwall shared its ministers with other pioneer area Methodist churches. By 1887, however, membership in the First Methodist Church had grown such that the Rev. James McDugald was appointed to serve as the congregation's first full-time pastor. To accommodate the membership's continued growth, additional facilities were later built, and the church relocated to this site in 1981. For more than 100 years, the First United Methodist Church of Rockwall has sponsored many active organizations in its congregation which have provided great service and leadership to the community of Rockwall. Many descendants of the original fellowship continue to worship here.
(1983)
Rockwall TX - Former Magnolia Station

Former Magnolia Station, now last barbers on the square
Photo courtesy Dylan Gielow, October 2014
More Texas Gas Stations

Lake Ray Hubbard view from  Rockwall Texas
Looking west at Lake Ray Hubbard from a hill in Rockwall
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, June 2007
USS Rockwall WWII
"The U.S.S. Rockwall, a transport battleship, that served in the Pacific during WWII."
- Carolyn Holt, Museum Curator
Photo courtesy Rockwall Historical Foundation Museum
Rockwall Texas water tower
Rockwall water tower.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, June 2007

Rockwall, Texas Area Destinations:
See Rockwall County | Dallas
Book Hotel Here:
Rockwall Hotels | Dallas Hotels | More Hotels

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.


Rockwall Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Rockwall, Texas
Book Here



All Texas Towns :
Gulf Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central North Central Woutn Central South Panhandle Panhandle
South South Texas Hill Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Ghost Towns counties COUNTIES

TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS TOPICS
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

USA | MEXICO | HOTELS

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved