|A Scene near
in a Cotton Boll
Early settler R. L. Cain donated the land for a community school and
cemetery around the 1860s. The town was first named Cain School
House in his honor. In 1895 the town received a post office, and
the name was changed to Adina - supposedly named after a character
in a novel that had impressed Mr. Cain.
By 1896, only 40 people resided here and in the early 1900s Adina
had a school, store, blacksmith, and gin. After 1905 people started
leaving, forcing the post office to close in 1908.
The school was consolidated with the Lexington
ISD in 1945. The school building was sold to the Adina Christian Church.
In 1982 only the church and cemetery remained mark the former community.
Residents of the founder continue to live in the area.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact