in a Pecan Shell
1. Located east of the Indian Creek settlement and south of Nechanitz
in the J.R. Phillips League.
2. An early American settler was J.T. Campbell.
3. Settled predominantly by German settlers who arrived in the 1870s.
4. John Gau, one of the first settlers, arrived in 1873 and named
the community after his home town, Mecklenburg, Germany.
5. The only business in the community was a cotton gin.
6. The first school was called Cedar Creek that was a mile away
from the second school; however, when it rained, no one could get
to school, so the school was moved to Mecklenburg.
7. John Gau donated land for the white school, built in 1878; it
was located near the intersection of FM 2145 and FM 2981; in its
earlier days it averaged from 40 to 50 students for grades first
8. In 1934-35, there were six students in that school, which closed
in 1941; however, there were 60 black students in their school.
9. There were
two cemeteries, one known as the Hickory Ridge Cemetery, a very
old site with both white and black people buried there. In 1958,
it was located on the Marvin Heinecke farm near Luther Hill.