a Pecan Shell
William Rabb and
his son John were members of Stephen F. Austin’s Old 300. They and
other Rabb family members cleared the land and planted the first crops
here between 1822 and 1825.
Frequent flooding of the Colorado River caused them to name the place
Bay Prairie at first. When voting districts were set up in
1830, one was in Wm. Rabb’s home.
Growth was curtailed by the community’s proximity to La
Grange, but nonetheless, a post office was applied for. It was
granted in 1900 and opened in the store, but it only remained open
through 1904 when mail was again routed through La
Likewise, the local school merged with La
Grange schools and the former schoolhouse was moved to Halsted
to become a store. Little history is available for the 40s and 50s
but in 1950 the census counted 60 residents – served by three businesses.
The Rabbs Prairie store closed in 1987 and the following year the
community had not a single business.
| Rabbs Prairie
Michalk Gin, circa 1940
Courtesy Fayette Co Hist Comm; submitted by Carolyn
Heinsohn, FCHC member
| 1907 postal
map of Fayette County
shows Rabbs Prairie as Rabbs
(NW of La
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact