in a Pecan Shell|
The town was platted on the property of Gibson
Kuykendall, Texas Revolutionary War veteran and one of Austin's
300 original colonists. The town was named (in 1837) after Alamo
defender William B. Travis whose memory was still very fresh in everyone's mind.
Travis had a post office in operation from 1846 through 1881. Not being on a railroad
line and the proximity to Bellville
probably hastened Travis' decline.
In the 1930s only the cemetery remained
with a few people living nearby.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact