a Pecan Shell
Witting dates from
1831, when Edwin Richeson, received a Mexican land grant. Like much
of the region, Anglo settlers moved west after the Civil War, selling
their land to the recently arrived German immigrants. The nucleus
of Richeson's former grant was a cluster or business (blacksmith,
store and gin) that was named after prominent landowner George Witting.
The community was granted a post office in 1880 (which closed in 1906).
While cotton prices were high,
Witting thrived. A community hall was built in the 1890s. The Lutheran
church was built in the late 1920s and a Catholic church in 1944.
Witting was thriving in the early 1950s, with seven stores - even
though the population was less than 100.
When cotton prices dropped and
the gin closed its doors in the late 50s, the effect on the town was
immediate. The school consolidated with those in Moulton
and today the only business left is a restaurant although the population
Witting is on FM 1295 at FM 340. Rosie's Hideaway has been written
up in several magazines as a place for good food. - Barclay
only business left in town
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2009
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact