|History in a Pecan
appeared when the Texas and New Orleans Railroad connected its line from Kemp
in 1900. Businesses from several communities relocated to be alongside the rails.
W. L. Moseley, who had sold the railroad a right-of-way and sold lots in the developing
town, modestly named the new community Mosely. But in that same year of 1900,
a post office opened under the name Jolo (for popular blacksmith Joe L. Pickle’s
nickname). For a short time the town was known under both names.
was changed later that year to Eustace, to honor Virginian Capt. W. T. Eustace,
a Confederate veteran who relocated to Henderson County in 1867. The population
in 1900 was reported as 150 residents and within a few years the town had most
essential businesses. Despite the railroad and the businesses, growth was slow
and as late as 1940 Eustace had less than 500 residents.
By 1990 it had
only grown to an estimated 662. The town has benefited from recreational areas
nearby like Cedar Creek Lake and Purtis Creek State Recreation Area and has increased
its population to around 800 residents.
Where the hamburger was invented
Athens, New York, Texas Cheesecakes, LaRue, Brownsboro, Edom,
Purtis Creek State Park, Eustace, Mabank, Gun Barrel City, Payne Springs, Caney
City, Malakoff and Cross Roads...
Texas Sunday Drive by Bob Bowman)