County, East Texas
FM 2588, FM 607 and U.S. Highway 175
About 12 Miles SE of Athens
Texas Area Hotels > Athens
and New Orleans (T&NO) depot in LaRue, Texas|
courtesy Roberta Niesz of Cedar Rapids, Iowa
in a Pecan Shell
of the string of towns set up along the rails of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad
in 1901, LaRue began life as a settlement named Morrison Chapel in the
mid 1840s. The namesake was Joseph La Rue, a man from Athens
who helped negotiate the right-of-way for the railroad.
The community took
advantage of the connections the railroad offered and relocated alongside the
rails. The move proved fruitful and Larue grew, reaching a high-water mark of
around 400 residents.
access to the highway was improved just as cars were once again made available.
Despite a severe decline in population, Larue managed to avoid the dreaded designation
of “dispersed rural community.”
From the late 1980s through the year 2000,
Larue’s population has been given as 160.
Texas and New Orleans Depot in LaRue
"This was the center of
the town and included two sets of railways in front of it. Much like the Poynor,
Texas depot, this structure was probably torn down sometime in the 1950s."
- Gage Guinn
County 1920s Map showing Larue, SE of Athens|
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here