church in Bigfoot|
in a Pecan ShellOriginally
called Connally's Store, the name was changed to honor William
A.A. "Bigfoot" Wallace who was a resident of the area. A museum devoted to
Wallace is the main draw for visitors.
The town dates from 1865,
although they didn't get a post office until 1883.
The town suffered
a disastrous fire in 1903. By 1907 there were 105 students in the Bigfoot school.
Devine absorbed Bigfoot's
school in the statewide sweep of school consolidations of the late 40s.
most obvious tree in Bigfoot|
Wallace Museum - Open by appointment.
| || |
One of Texas' colorful characters. His life and times
make very entertaining reading.
Portrait of "Bigfoot" Wallace
Courtesy Texas Ranger Museum, Waco,
County TX 1907 Postal Map showing Bigfoot|
Courtesy Texas General Land
|Book Hotel Here