in a Pecan Shell
During the railroad expansion in the 1890s,
the San Antonio and Aransas Pass railroad built through Karnes County. It was
then a town called Castine appeared alongside the tracks.
received a post office in 1898 and when Capt. Richmond Pearson Hobson made a speech
at the depo, the town renamed itself after this hero of the short-lived Spanish
American War in 1899.
Storekeeper R. J. Polasek hosted the post office
in his store expanded his operations to include a gin, gristmill and lumberyard.
A brickyard soon joined other business in this German-Czech-Polish town and by
1915 it had a population of 150 people. It even had a doctor and (briefly) a hospital.
Growth was slow and it wasn’t until 1950 that it reached its peak number of 175
By 1990 it was down to just 135 residents, but it still maintained
a post office and other businesses. It remains the same in 2010's estimate.
|Book Hotel Here