State Highway 29 where it meets FM 243 and FM 1174
10 miles E of Burnet
3 miles N of Oatmeal
41 miles NW of Austin via US 183
early 1930s street scene|
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com
History in a Pecan ShellBorn
with the railroad in 1882, The community of San Gabriel moved two miles
NW to be alongside the freshly-laid tracks of the Austin and Northwestern Railroad.
The namesake was Rudolph Bertram, Austin
merchant and the largest investor in the railroad company.
A post office
was granted the same year.
The 1890s found Bertram with most essential
businesses, including two wagon wrights. Cotton
shipping became the town’s largest business and it broke the record for number
of bales (11,624) ginned in 1928.
Bertram reached a population of 1,000
in 1929 but dropped dramatically. Two years later it was down to just 550 residents.
By the end of WWII it
was still around 600 but by the mid 1960s it had doubled at 1,205. The 1990 population
was 849, which reached 1,444 for the 2010 census.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels