has always been a quiet place. Too quiet for many; just right for a few. This
is a part of Texas where (depending on gasoline prices) aimless driving is a recreational
activity. Driftwood never fails to produce feelings of discovery when it first
comes into view. |
in a Pecan Shell|
Driftwood’s history does not include how it came
by its coastal-sounding name. Even Driftwood’s timeline doesn’t report much in
the way of events, occurrences, catastrophes, epidemics, outbreaks, mass suicides,
or religious cults relocating here. It seems that Driftwooders would rather read
about events than have them. The former Masonic Lodge has been turned into a residence.
1850s: First settlers came to the town that was first called Liberty Hill.
1880s: With an influx of new settlers, Driftwood became a crossroads supply center.
The community grew as a result of rail terminals set up at nearby Kyle
1890: Driftwood had a post office,
school, churches, a gin, and store.
1925: Population drops to 10. The town's
highest recorded population was 100.
1945: Driftwood’s school consolidated
with Buda's ISD.
1990: The population was twenty-one
and this estimate appears on the 2004 map.
Driftwood Area Hotels
TE photo 9-01