Photo courtesy Postmaster Heather Treadwell, August 2007
in a Pecan Shell
Named in honor of Capt. Henry McKavett, who was killed in the Mexican
War battle of Monterrey, the post had been known as Camp San Saba.
Camp followers formed a town a mile north of the post. It was supposed
to be named after a German merchant, but went by the unfortunate name
Camp San Saba closed in 1859, and most of the civilians left when
the soldiers departed. The post and the community - having rid itself
of the name Scabtown was more than happy to assume the same name as
The fort closed again in 1883 - but with the Indian threat gone, residents
stayed - unlike the previous closing.
By the mid-1890s the community had 80 citizens, a weekly paper - and
two hotels. In 1904 the school had twenty-eight students and two teachers.
By the 1920s, Fort McKavett's population was about 150 - falling to
136 during the years of the Great Depression and staying at that level
until the 1960s. From a reported 103 in the 70s, it declined to a
mere 45 by 1990.
Restoration of the fort began in 1968 when the old school and one
of the barracks was acquired and it was under the control of the Texas
Parks and Wildlife Department. The restoration continued and by 1990
seventeen buildings had been restored. Now known as Fort
McKavett State Historic Site
McKavett, Theodore Roosevelt’s son, Elliot Roosevelt, spent time
in the Fort McKavett area hunting and relaxing in the sunshine.
- Coe Linn, Austin, Texas, June 24, 2004
| Menard County
TX 1907 Postal Map showing Ft. McKavett
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact