in a Pecan Shell
Ranchers had settled here as early as the 1880s. The community was
first called Olds, but in 1905 a post office opened under
the name of Nogal, Texas.
year it was changed to Rogerstown, but that too, was short-lived.
When the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway arrived in 1919 the post
office submitted a change of name to honor H. W. Farnsworth, the
railroad director. The following year the post office became Farnsworth
and has remained Farnsworth ever since.
There have never
been too many people in Farnsworth. In 1925, the date for which
first figures are available, the count was a mere 25 residents.
The town peaked after WWII
when 200 people called it home. It declined slightly in the mid
1980s to 149 – the same figure for the 1990 census. The 200 count