| History in
a Pecan Shell
Famous Cattle Baron Christopher C. Slaughter died in 1919 and in 1921
his heirs dissolved his cattle company. Slaughter's eldest daughter,
Minnie Slaughter Veal, got herself an agent to sell her share of the
property and this agent - named Morton Smith - founded the town of
In 1923 the actual townsite was platted and Smith's land office was
on the eastside of the square.
In 1924, Morton (the town) became the county seat over a town called
Ligon. The Slaughters had founded Ligon and were hoping that it would
become county seat.
Morton somehow was spared the fate of many Texas towns that shriveled
and died after being bypassed by the railroad.
Ranches continued to be sold as farmland throughout the 20s. According
to the Handbook of Texas - a family named Winder was so large that
it doubled the population of Morton. Mrs. Mary Winder served as Morton's
first postmistress (1924 - 1943).
In 1933 Morton was incorporated with Henry Cox as first mayor.
Morton was also the hometown of Lt. Col. George Andrew Davis, Jr.,
a World War II
Ace who was killed in the Korean War.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact