Springs Lake In Yellow House Canyon |
On the North Fork of the Double Mountain
Fork of the Brazos River
in a Pecan ShellThe
town was developed in the second half of the 20th Century.
in 1977. The original name of the development had been Lake Ransom Canyon until
1984 when it dropped the word “lake.” From a 1980 census count of 561, the development
has increased to just over 1,000 for the 2000 census.
Canyon Historical Marker
House by Byrone Brown
Sculptor and architect Robert Bruno has
bequeathed to us his Steel House,
sometimes referred to as “The Metal Mansion”, just outside of Lubbock
in Ransom Canyon...
explorers crossed this canyon, part of the larger Yellow House Canyon, perhaps
as early as the 1540s. Jumano, Apache, and Comanche Indians camped here to take
advantage of the canyon's protective walls, fresh water springs, trees, and abundant
In the late 1700s New Mexican traders known as Comancheros began
to exchange agricultural and craft products of their villages for buffalo
and other items of the Plains Indians along a trade route which passed through
this canyon. In the 1800s a number of captives were brought here by Comanche Indians
and sold to Comancheros. The Comanchero practice of demanding ransom for their
release gave rise to the canyon's name. By the 1870s mostly buffalo
hunters and ranchers occupied the
In 1884 the Western Land and Livestock Company bought most of the
land in the canyon area and operated the famous IOA Ranch. The IOA Ranch venture
failed and in 1901 the canyon became the site of the O6 Ranch. From 1915 until
1961 Ransom Canyon was part of a large ranch owned by the Johnston Family. In
1961 investors purchased the canyon area and in 1965 platted Lake Ransom Canyon
Village. The village was incorporated in 1978.