in a Pecan Shell|
John N. Winters, a local rancher is the town's
namesake. The original location was about a mile SE of present Winters, and was
originally called Bluff Creek Valley. The Curry and Bell families are credited
with being the towns first settlers - arriving around 1880.
A post office
was granted in 1891 and John Winters donated the land for a school. In 1892 there
were 163 Winterites. Winters became famous for a travelling brass band that had
been organized there in 1901. The first newspaper was the Recorder (1903)
which underwent a name change to the Winters Enterprise in 1905. By 1910
the population of Winters was just over 1,200.
In 1909, the Abilene and
Southern Railway laid tracks from Abilene
to Winters and the town incorporated that same year. The town received a public
library in 1964. The population reached 3,061 in 1980 and it was 2,905 in 1990.
It remains about the same in 2004 (2,880).
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
or historic/vintage photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here