& Tarrant Counties,
32° 32' 9" N, 97° 19' 38" W (32.535833, -97.327222)
Hwys 35W, 81, 174, and FMs 731 & 3391
11 miles N of Alvarado
16 miles N of Cleburne,
Johnson County seat
14 miles S of Fort Worth,
Tarrant County seat
Population: 46,145 Est. (2017)
36,690 (2010) 20,976 (2000) 16,113 (1990)
Depot circa 1921
Photo courtesy Burleson Heritage Foundation
a Pecan Shell
in honor of Dr. Rufus C. Burleson, president of Baylor University,
the town dates to 1881 with the arrival of the Missouri Kansas and
Texas railroad. An earlier community called Brushy Mound, was bypassed
by the railroad. The area's first school had opened at Brushy Mound
in 1879, and in 1885, even as Burleson was building, Alta Vista
College was under construction. In 1900 the building was moved to
In 1882, Burleson was granted a post office. It broke the mold of
most Texas post offices since it didn't share space with a store
- located not in a store - but a saloon. As soon as residents started
getting their mail - they set about setting up a proper town.
The population was 200 in 1890 and cotton fueled the local economy.
With an artesian well that supplied water to homes and businesses,
Burleson's future seemed bright. But from a population of 368 in
1904, it declined to 241 by the mid 1920s. During the 30s it increased
and by 1940, 573 people called Burleson home.
It was made a stop on the Cleburne - Fort Worth Interurban line
in 1912. Using the electricity brought in for the Interurban, Burleson
was wired for electricity in 1913.
In 1924 Highway 21 passed through Burleson and the town annexed
land to contain the anticipated growth. The population increased
by nearly 30% in the 1940s but real growth came in the 1950s when
it swelled from 795 to 2,345 in the ten years from 1950-1960. Burleson
became a bedroom community of Fort
Worth and agricultural employment was replaced by white collar
The population went from 11,734 in 1980 to over 16,000 by 1990 and
36,690 by 2010.
Deering at Burleson’s circa 1923 linotype after the final edition
of the long-running Burleson Dispatcher newspaper in 1985. The paper
ran in the building in former Interurban Depot from roughly 1935-1985."
- Robert Griffith. Photo courtesy Burleson Heritage Foundation
Interurban Depot has been remodeled and is home to the Burleson Heritage
Foundation’s Visitor’s Center & Museum. The building is the site of
Burleson’s first concrete floor, which is still there, and the first
electric light bulb." -
Robert Griffith, December 06, 2005 photo
Quebe Sisters by Bob Bowman (From "All Things Historical")
"Listening to the Quebe Sisters play the western swing music
pioneered by Wills in the 1930s and l940s, you realize they are special
musicians who love what they’re doing." [more]
The Surveyors' Ghost
by Bob Hopkins
Ghost story from a 1902 newspaper in Burleson, Texas.
Heritage Foundation is restoring Interurban Express Car #330.
On the second Saturday of each October, Burleson holds Founder’s
Day, a large celebration of Burleson Heritage and Culture. - Robert
Griffith, Burleson, Texas, December 06, 2005
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and vintage/historic photos, please contact