in a Pecan Shell
Named after the Caddo Indians who were the first inhabitants, settlement
began in the 1850s. In the 1870s a grist mill was built just west
of the current town. A store opened and the town grew up around it.
It became known as Caddo Mills and in 1879 a post office was granted
under that name.
The population reached 100 in the early 1880s and in 1886 the Missouri,
Kansas and Texas (KATY) railroad arrived. The railroad increased the
population to 500 by 1892. The population in the mid teens reached
700 but decreased even before the Great Depression arrived. The population
just prior to WWII
was less than 400 and growth has been slow but upward ever since.
The 1964 population was 680, increasing to just over 1,300 in 1988.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact