a Pecan Shell
The junction of
House and Cowhouse Creeks provided a popular swimming hole for local
residents in 1900 and around this spot the community of Eliga formed.
First named Elijah, it became Eliga with the granting of the
post office in 1903.
At its peak, the community had a school, two stores, two gins and
a blacksmith. Eliga was similar to it’s nearby neighbor of Ruth, Texas
in many ways – even to the point of them both being absorbed into
Camp Hood, now Fort Hood. Prior to that date (1942) Eliga had
maintained a population of twenty-five.
Texas Escapes, in its purpose
to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone
wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please submit
| Greetings from
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
TX 1907 postal map showing Eliga (near Bell County line)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office