History in a Pecan
ShellThe town was
established in 1886. The namesake was R. B. Godley, a Cleburne
businessman who donated the right-of-way to the railroad (The Gulf, Colorado and
Godley also donated 20 acres for the townsite. A station was
built that same year (1886) and a post office opened in 1888.
figures arenít available but in the mid 1920s, there were 613 residents, which
declined to 378 during the Great Depression. The 1940s saw continuing decline
and it bottomed out at 317. By the 1950s it had rebounded to 424.
1990 census counted 569 residents which grew to 879 by 2000.
Johnson County map showing Godley & Cresson|
"J" in "JOHNSON")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact