vintage Southern Pacific steam engine in Victoria is now in Grapevine
in a Pecan Shell
Grapevine settlement dates back to the 1840s when settlers from Platte
County Missouri moved into the area.
Grapevine has previously been known as Cross Timbers, Grape Vine
Springs, Leonardville, Dunnville, and Grape Vine, until they settled
on the current name (pun intended) in 1914.
A Masonic lodge was established in 1866 and the Grapevine Masonic
Institute, was in operation from 1869 to 1886. The town had a population
of 800 by 1890 and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway arrived
sometime around 1900.
In 1914 Grapevine had 1,200 people but it dropped to just over 800
Today the proximity to DFW has increased the population to over 40,000.
Prior to the opening of the airport the town had fewer than 3,000
Considerable effort has been made to dress up downtown Grapevine and
with their restored depot-museum and pioneer cabin/park, Grapevine
has a distinctive charm that other Dallas
Convention & Visitors Bureau
One Liberty Park Plaza Grapevine, Texas 76051
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
- Book Here