in a Pecan Shell
Some settlement occurred before 1870s, although the site didn't
really jell until the mid 1880s. It's name comes from the community's
pride in having a telephone. (Located in the general store.) In
an old familiar story, the storekeeper's applications for a post
office (under a variety of names) met with rejections because the
names were "already taken" by some other community. The name Telephone
was submitted and the telephone post office opened in 1886.
There were 30
people living in Telephone by 1890, reaching 100 in the mid teens.
It remained there throughout the 30s. Unlike many communities of
its size (without a railroad connection), the population increased.
By the end of WWII
there were 280 citizens and the population stayed at that level
throughout the 60s.
In 1990 Telephone
reported 210 residents - the same number reported on the 2010 highway
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2007
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact