TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Fannin County TX
Fannin County


Texas Towns
A - Z

Bonham Hotels

More Hotels

 

 


BONHAM, TEXAS


Fannin County, Seat, Central Texas North

33░ 35' 2" N, 96░ 10' 54" W (33.583889, -96.181667)

U.S. 82, Hwy 121 and 56
12 miles S of the Oklahoma border
10 miles N of Bailey
37 miles W of Paris
41 miles NE of McKinney
72 miles NE of Dallas
27 miles E of Sherman
28 miles E of Denison
Population: 10,386 Est. (2019)
10,127 (2010) 9,990 (2000) 6,688 (1990)

Book Hotel Here › Bonham Hotels


Bonham, Texas - First Presbyterian Church,
First Presbyterian Church in Bonham
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
More Texas Churches

Bonham was named after Alamo defender James Butler Bonham. Bonham rode through Mexican lines twice, requesting aid from Gonzales and escorting the Gonzales volunteers back to the Alamo. The County is named after James Fannin, who was massacred with his men at Goliad.



HISTORY

Bonham Chronicles
Historical Markers



Bonham, Texas Attractions/Landmarks

and Photo Gallery

Fannin county courthouse, Bonham, Texas
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
Fannin County Courthouse
Built by famed courthouse architect W.C. Dodson.


Bonham, Texas - Sam Rayburn House Museum,
Sam Rayburn House
Sam Rayburn House Museum
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Photo courtesy TxHC at English Wikipedia

Historical Marker: 890 W. Hwy 56

Sam Rayburn House

In 1916, three years after he began his career in the U.S. Congress, Sam Rayburn built this home for his parents, who had left their farm at Windom. The 2-story house had a front porch on each floor. In 1934 architect W. B. Yarborough enlarged "The Home Place," turning the porches into a 2-story portico. When not in Washington, Rayburn lived here with other members of the family. Deeded to the Texas Historical commission in 1972, the house is now (1974) a museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965

  • The Sam Rayburn House Museum:
    Mr. Rayburn's residence built in 1916.
    Original furnishings and personal items.
    8 - 5 Tuesday-Friday and 9 - 5 on Sat.
    Closed Sunday and Monday
    (903) 583-5558
    http://www.thc.state.tx.us.html


    Sam Rayburn's Home by Bob Bowman
    "A visit to Bonham should start with a stop at the Sam Rayburn House Museum on U.S. Highway 82 on the west side of town."... more




  • Sam Rayburn Library and Museum:
    Just west of Downtown Bonham, the library contains memorabilia and furnishings from the Washington office of one of the country's most powerful and influential Speakers of the House. Second only to his personal friend LBJ, Rayburn was the most visible Texan in US Government, even surpassing Uvalde's "Cactus Jack" Gardner who was FDR's Vice President.
    Monday through Friday 10 - 5, Saturday 1 - 5, Sunday 2 - 5.
    903-583-2455


    Historical Marker: 800 W. Sam Rayburn Drive
    Sam Rayburn Library and Museum
    Speaker Sam Rayburn and Dallas architect Roscoe DeWitt designed this facility to house Sam Rayburn's archives, books and artifacts. Rayburn served Fannin and surrounding counties for more than 55 years as state legislator and U.S. Congressman, including 17 years as Speaker of the House. The library, built in 1955-57, reflects the Classical Revival architecture of federal buildings in Washington, D.C. The steel construction building features a marble fašade, copper roof, and Ionic columns supporting an entablature at the main entrance. The building also includes an exact replica of the Speaker's office.
    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008



  • Clyde W. Cosper Texas State Veterans Home
    1300 Seven Oaks Road, Bonham, Texas.

    Lt. Clyde "Sparky" Cosper by John Troesser


  • Fannin County Museum:
    One Main Street
    903-583-8042.
    Hours: September to March Tuesday through Saturday noon to 4.
    April to August Tuesday through Saturday 10 to 4.
    Formerly on the third floor of the courthouse, the Museum now resides in the restored Texas and Pacific Railroad Depot.


  • Fort Inglish Park:
    A replica of the original settlement in 1837 that eventually became Bonham.
    W. Sam Rayburn Drive.
    903-583-3441.


  • Bonham State Park
    Less than 4 miles from Bonham


  • Coffee Mill Lake:
    Off FM 409.
    15 miles northeast of Bonham.
    Caddo National Grassland Wildlife Management Area


    Book Hotel Here › Bonham Hotels

  • American Theater Bonham Texas
    American Theatre
    Photo courtesy Billy Smith, December 1990
    More Texas Theatres


    Bonham, TX - Bonham Drive In Theatre neon

    Bonham Drive-In Theatre
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2009
    More Texas Drive-In Theatres



    Bonham TX historic victorian home
    Victorian Architecture in Bonham
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006


    Bonham Texas funeral home
    Funeral home
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006

    Bonham, Texas Old Photos


    Bonham TX High School
    High School, Bonham, Texas
    Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/


    Bonham TX Bailey English School
    Bailey English School, Bonham, Texas
    Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/


    Bonham TX High School
    High School, Bonham, Texas
    Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
    More Texas Schoolhouses


    Bonham TX  hospital, 1908 old photo
    Hospital, Bonham, Texas, 1908
    Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/


    Bonham Texas 1908 postcard
    Bonham Texas postcard, circa 1907



    Bonham Chronicles:
  • James Bonham - The Alamo's brave messenger by Murray Montgomery

  • Lt. Clyde "Sparky" Cosper by John Troesser
    B-17 Pilot, 367th Bomber Group, Hometown: Dodd City, Texas
    "A B-17 crashed near the town of Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, England on November 13, 1943. The only thing that prevented the plane from landing directly on the town, was the Herculean effort of the man at the controls....."

  • MacPhelan Reese, Sam Rayburn, and the Rayburn Library by Mike Cox

  • Savoy Male and Female College by Mike Cox ("Texas Tales")
    When graduates of the long-extinct Savoy Male and Female College gathered for their first reunion in 1938, several of the men did a little reminescing about the Indians fights they had back in the day...

  • Flagpole by Mike Cox ("Texas Tales")
    This story is about a mystery involving the flag staff that once stood at Camp Howze, a sprawling World War II Army base at Gainesville...

  • Tom Bean by John Troesser

  • The Hardin Brothers by Bob Bowman ("All Things Historical")
    More than 110 years have passed since East Texas outlaw John Wesley Hardin was shot down in an El Paso saloon, but he remains one of the most intriguing badmen in history... John Wesley, named for the founder of Methodism, was born at Bonham in Fannin County on May 26, 1853...



  • Bonham, Texas Historical Markers


    Historical Marker: Willow Wild Cemetery (near W. 10th & SH 121)

    Sam Rayburn

    (Jan. 16, 1882 - Nov. 16, 1961)
    Tennessee native Sam Taliaferro Rayburn moved to Texas with his family in 1887. His long and successful political career began with his election to the Texas Legislature in 1906. It continued through 25 consecutive terms in the U. S. House of Representatives, where Rayburn served with 8 presidents and held the speakership for 17 years. His funeral at the First Baptist Church in Bonham was attended by 30,000 people, including 4 presidents and 105 Congressmen.
    1986



    Historical Marker: corner of Sam Rayburn & Chinner St.; in front of Fort Inglish Museum

    Bailey Inglish

    (ca. 1797-1867)
    In 1837, Bailey Inglish moved his family to this area from western Arkansas, where he had been an influential leader of pioneer settlers. Here he was active in the formation of Fannin County, serving on the land board and later as chief justice. To guard against repeated Indian raids, he built a fort on his land for area residents. The settlement that developed, first know as Bois d'Arc, became Bonham. Inglish was instrumental in its early growth through active public service and donations of land for town lots, a cemetery, and a female seminary.
    Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986



    Historical Marker: Center (SH 78) & 8th St.

    First Baptist Church

    Organized November 1852 under the Rev. J. R. Briscoe with six charter members. The first log church on this site doubled as the school. Cost of this lot-- then outside city limits -- was $50. Indian trail lay northeast. In 1855 a new frame church was built; baptisms were held in Saunder's pool on West 7th. Other denominations were also allowed to worship here. New churches were built in 1882 and 1921, the latter being dedicated by George W. Truett, noted evangelist. The present church was dedicated 1959 under the Rev. Jack M. Carson, pastor.
    1968



    Historical Marker: 1201 N. Main St., L. H. Rather Junior High School

    Bonham High School Auditorium and Gymnasium

    Using funds from the Federal Public Works Administration and local tax dollars, this structure was built to provide space for school and community assemblies, performances and athletic events. Architects Voelcker and Dixon of Wichita Falls designed the auditorium with Romanesque influences in its arched window and entrance openings and its brick detailing. The 1937 Junior-Senior prom was the first official school function held here, followed later that school year by commencement exercises in the auditorium. It remains in use for community functions.
    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001



    Historical Marker: 1 Main St., Fannin County Museum of History

    Bonham Cotton Mill

    In 1900, nine Bonham businessmen formed a corporation to construct and operate a cotton mill near this site. The town's presence on the northern edge of the blackland prairie made it an ideal location for textile manufacturing, since cotton was one of the area's principal crops. The Bonham Cotton Mill, which opened in 1901, was the town's first significant industrial plant. The corporation constructed a series of company homes and provided free day care for children of employees. In 1920, the company merged with Consolidated Textile Corporation, which was based on the east coast. Management of the mill remained in the hands of John C. Saunders until his death in 1934. The Bonham Cotton Mill closed in 1930 with the onset of the Great Depression. In 1931, Bonham businessmen rechartered it as a Texas corporation. After reaching its peak of production during the 1940s, the cotton mill declined in the post-World War II years. The plant merged with the Brenham Cotton Mill in 1958 but closed eventually in the 1970s. As Bonham's principal employer for many years of the 20th century, the cotton mill had a major impact on the city's social and economic history.
    Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986



    Historical Marker: 314 N. Center St.

    Bonham Daily Favorite

    In 1887 Dr. J. M. Terry, who gave up medicine for journalism, established the "Weekly Fannin Favorite." He expanded in 1892 by starting this newspaper, the oldest daily publication in Fannin County. For 45 years its offices were in the 500 block of North Main before moving here in 1953. Although ownership has changed many times, the award-winning newspaper has maintained high standards of news coverage. The "Daily Favorite" recorded the public career of Sam Rayburn (1882-1961), Congressman from this district and longtime Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.
    1978



    Historical Marker: near Lynn Street entrance

    Inglish Cemetery

    (1838-1964)
    County's oldest. Bailey Inglish donated plot near old Fort Inglish (called Bois d'Arc, later Bonham). Pioneers buried here include 1838 Indian massacre victims Andrew Daugherty, Wm. McCarty; 1836 Fannin County colonizers Bailey Inglish and Daniel Rowlett; and Texas Revolution veterans James Tarleton.
    Fannin County Historical Survey Committee, 1964.



    Historical Marker: corner of 10th & N. Main St.

    On Route of Early Texas Streetcars

    In Bonham--as in most Texas towns that became busy trading, ranching, or agricultural centers in the late 1800s--streetcars or trolleys were used in local transit. Bonham's steam-powered streetcar line, built about 1890, extended 2.5 miles from Russell Heights to the Texas & Pacific Railroad Station. Cars ran every 30 minutes. Fare was 5 cents; or 10 cents round-trip. The route avoided the business district, as streetcars frightened horses and disrupted trading. Other towns of sprawling growth had mule-drawn streetcars as early as 1875. These early cars were susceptible to track-jumping, collision, and other accidents, but were nevertheless welcomed for their services. Convenient streetcar rides attracted not only townspeople, but saddle-sore cowboys as well. By 1890, when Bonham acquired the steam-car line, mule-drawn cars were being replaced all over Texas.
    1967



    Nearby Destinations

  • Fannin County Towns
  • 28 miles West to Sherman on Hwy 82
  • 28 miles West to Denison on Hwy 69
  • 20 miles East to Honey Grove on Hwy 82, another 22 miles to Paris
  • 32 miles on Hwy 78 and Hwy 11 South to Commerce

  • Book Hotel Here › Bonham Hotels | More Hotels

    Bonham Tourist Information
    Bonham Area Chamber of Commerce
    110 East First Street. 903-583-4811.
    www.bonhamchamber.com



    Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact us.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     


    Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
    TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
    Texas Counties
    Texas Towns A-Z
    Texas Ghost Towns

    TEXAS REGIONS:
    Central Texas North
    Central Texas South
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Texas Panhandle
    Texas Hill Country
    East Texas
    South Texas
    West Texas

    Courthouses
    Jails
    Churches
    Schoolhouses
    Bridges
    Theaters
    Depots
    Rooms with a Past
    Monuments
    Statues

    Gas Stations
    Post Offices
    Museums
    Water Towers
    Grain Elevators
    Cotton Gins
    Lodges
    Stores
    Banks

    Vintage Photos
    Historic Trees
    Cemeteries
    Old Neon
    Ghost Signs
    Signs
    Murals
    Gargoyles
    Pitted Dates
    Cornerstones
    Then & Now

    Columns: History/Opinion
    Texas History
    Small Town Sagas
    Black History
    WWII
    Texas Centennial
    Ghosts
    People
    Animals
    Food
    Music
    Art

    Books
    Cotton
    Texas Railroads

    Texas Trips
    Texas Drives
    Texas State Parks
    Texas Rivers
    Texas Lakes
    Texas Forts
    Texas Trails
    Texas Maps
    USA
    MEXICO
    HOTELS

    Site Map
    About Us
    Privacy Statement
    Disclaimer
    Contributors
    Staff
    Contact Us

     
    Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved