|History in a Pecan
Earliest settlement was in the 1850s and in the later part of
that decade investors broke up their holdings into smaller tracts. There were
few takers until after the Civil War. The town’s first store opened in 1869 and
two years later the town was granted a post office. It took until 1892 for the
town to reach 200 residents. The town’s hopes of growth were dashed when it was
bypassed by the railroad.
In the mid 1930s the population was down to 148. Postwar prosperity allowed people
to seek jobs elsewhere and in 1946 Woodbury only had 40 people – dropping to a
mere 20 in the 1960s. It received a small bump back to 40 in the 1960s – where
it has remained since.