in a Pecan Shell
was named for the once-abundant animals when the International-Great Northern
Railroad arrived in 1872. The Buffalo post office was granted four years later.
Buffalo's first school was held in a two-story building that later became a community
center and later still - a hotel.
The population of Buffalo grew from 200
to 500 from 1890 to 1892. Buffalo incorporated in 1913 when the town comprised
an area of four square miles. It was unincorporated in 1917 and later reincorporated.
From a pre-Depression
population of 650 in 1929, it fell to 470 by 1931 but grew to 850 by the end of
the 1930s. Passenger service was discontinued in 1970.
City Hall, by the water tower|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Notes from East Texas by Bob Bowman:
The Holy Oak
of Jesus and Mary are always popping up in strange places, such as a tortilla
in 1977, a grilled cheese sandwich in 2004, and on a dental X-ray, also in 2004.
But when Timo Bueno, an employee of a construction company, paused for
a lunch break on Jimmy Ezellís property at Buffalo in Leon County, he looked up
at a limb which had been cut.
There, he saw an image of Jesus in the end
of the limb.
Since then, folks have been coming to Buffalo from all over
to see the image and Ezell regrets that the end of the limb, which might have
contained additional images, was burned.
After all, a ten-year-old sandwich
with the Virgin Maryís image recently sold on e-Bay for $28,000.