in a Pecan Shell
Settlement began in the 1820s with members of Austin's
original 300 settlers. The town of Frydek had to wait until the
1890s to be established.
Named after a Moravian city (Frýdek-Místek) the community was populated
by Czechs who were farmers who branched out into cattle-raising. The
community had a post office from 1901 until 1906. The population continues
to be predominantly Czech.
From a population of just 25 residents in 1933 it actually gained
population during the Great Depression - up to 75 by 1939. From the
mid 1960s through 2010, the population has been reported at 150.
County TX 1907 Postal Map showing Frydek
West of Brazos River, E of Sealy
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact