in a Pecan Shell
Established alongside the rails of the Texas and New
Orleans Railroad, it was named for early settler R.E. Hill. The community
first known by the railroad designation "Hill's Switch," had
its own post office in operation from 1901 to 1906. It reportedly
had a single business, a school and not much more than scattered houses.
The population was estimated to be around 25 residents in 1933. Growth
was hampered by the proximity to Giddings
and during the school consolidations, Hills school merged with Giddings.
The one remaining business in Hills is an automotive garage and junkyard.
"To the post office Hills was known as Hillspur, and had
a PO only from 1901-1906.... [Here are] a few photos of the now abandoned
railroad tracks." -
John J. Germann
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact