in a Pecan Shell
The community was originally settled in 1850 by Bob Alexander, but it was the
Terry Brothers (James and John) who opened the area’s first store two years later
who became the town’s namesake.
The core population was joined by dozens
of other families. Mail came all the way from Victoria until after the Civil War
when a post office opened in 1869.
In 1870 the town’s first school was
built and a Methodist Church was organized that same year. The church was disbanded
in 1940 and was originally located on the present site of the Old Terryville Cemetery.
In 1886 Terryville moved three miles southeast of its original location and the
town reached its apex four years later when it had about 35-50 residents served
by three groceries. Other businesses included a cotton gin and a blacksmith.
1900 a decline set in and the first casualty was the post office. It closed in
1907. No record was kept of the town’s population until after the Great Depression
when 29 people were reported. The town had a single store at that time.
The population swelled to 50 for the 1960 census but shrank back to 40 by 1970.
The same number has been used through 2000.
Tx Historical Marker|
FM 682, 12 miles S of Yoakum
Gibson, December 2006
near this site in the 1850s, Terryville was named for the family of James D. Terry,
who served as De Witt County judge from 1883 to 1891. The community raised a cavalry
company for the Confederate Army and had a post office by 1869. The post office
and most residents moved in the 1880s to a new location 2.5 miles away. The community
prospered until the early 20th century. The post office was discontinued in 1907.
The old cemetery remains at the first townsite, while a Baptist church still exists
at the second location.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels