County, East Texas
Just off Hwy 259 at the intersection of two unnamed gravel roads
Miles N of DeKalb
22 Miles NE of Clarksville
Miles NW of New Boston
45 Miles W of Texarkana
Population: 00055 (2000)
| History in a Pecan
for a long-gone beaver dam that held back water on a nearby creek, the town has
never had its own post office. The first population count occurred in the early
1930s when the town had a single business to serve ten residents.
to 25 people for both the 1940 and 1950 census. Today only the church and cemetery
mark the site of the community.
the busy main highway, it quickly becomes a typical, quiet northeast Texas landscape.
Outside of the church, which usually seems to be the nucleus of any town, community
or settlement, there are only a few scattered residences and farm buildings.”
Massey, August 2010
Bowie County map showing DeKalb (Above "B"
Beaver Dam, 9 miles N of DeKalb,
is not on the map
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact