a Pecan Shell
The town was named for the abundant species that lines the nearby creeks. Settlement
began prior to the Civil War and a post office opened in 1865 – the year the war
Always a quiet town, the population was a mere 50 in 1910. The community
met with no natural disasters and after the Great Depression, it emerged with
75 residents – the same number given in the 1980s.
The post office closed
sometime in the early to middle 1950s. The population was estimated to be more
than 250 in the 1990s.
“Boxelder is a very pleasant
community not boasting of a lot of residences within the town proper.” - Gerald
Marker Text |
1856, the Rev. Thomas Wilson Anderson (1815-1890) organized Salem Baptist Church
with twelve charter members. The first church building was located Northeast of
Boxelder; by 1871, the congregation had moved to this location. By 1918, the church
had a two-story structure and the local Woodmen of the World chapter met on the
upper floor. The congregation built the current structure in 1945. From its early
years, the church served as the focal point of the rural Boxelder community. Members
have ministered to the sick and needy of the area, and have also focused on missions.
Today, Salem Baptist Church continues to be a spiritual leader in Boxelder.
Salem Baptist Church Historical Marker|
Photo courtesy Gerald
Massey, August 2010
1907 Red River County Postal map showing Boxelder|
(Below "V" in "RED
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact