in a Pecan Shell
Center Point was originally settled by emancipated slaves in 1865.
The crossing of two major roads is the source of the name. The community
had built a church by 1873 and a school followed in 1889. The rest
of Center Point's history is directly related to the school's history.
From a one room school in bad condition in 1900, it was a two teacher
school eight years later. Public bonds sold in 1916 financed a four-room
school and the Julius Rosenwald Foundation donated a library and nearly
$6,000 for construction.
By the 1935-36 school year it was regarded as one of Camp County's
better schools. Nine of the school's ten teachers had at least B.A.
degrees, and, the average teacher's salary was higher than that at
any other Camp County school. During the Great Depression the population
started shrinking and in 1938 the Center Point High School was down
to 78 students. In 1955 Center Point merged with the Pittsburg
In 1865 black Freedmen
began this community. The Center Point Baptist Church was organized
in 1873. The Industrial Union was chartered in 1889 to aid settlers
in buying farms and building homes. A cooperative managed a brick
kiln, sawmill and cotton gin. Under the leadership of Mr. and Mrs.
L. B. Cash, the first principals, Center Point School became an important
vocational facility. Students erected most of the structures on the
14-acre campus and there was a cooperative boarding plan. The school
was consolidated with Pittsburg in
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact