History in a
called Stillwater, the community was two miles north of the present location.
A post office under that name opened in early 1873. Alphonso H. Chandler became
the town's namesake when he donated land for a railroad right-of-way.
Although there are no
population figures available, the town had all essential businesses by1890. Chandler
had nearly 650 people by the mid 1930s and twenty businesses. With the decline
of cotton, the local economy switched to raising fruit. Chandler's first mayor
was elected in 1960. The population has risen in recent years - to the present
figure of just over 2,000.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that
anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here