in a Pecan Shell
Settled by freed slaves just after the Civil War, Cuney was once known as
Andy, Texas after Andrew Bragg, the first black landowner in the area.
But a real community didn't appear until 1902, when the Texas and New Orleans
Railroad made the town a flag stop.
Around 1914 H. L. Price, and local
investors formed a company and platted a townsite. They named the town after Price's
son, Cuney Price. He had been named after Norris
Wright Cuney, a black politician and head of the Texas Republican party.
A post office was granted in 1917. In 1929, Cuney had 100 people when the
highway (U.S.175) was paved. The town's major businesses moved to be near the
increased traffic. In the throes of the Great Depression, the population shrank
to a mere 25 citizens. Over the years it increased slowly to 170 (1990).
Cuney incorporated in November 1983.
In Cherokee County (just barely) on US 175 about 10 miles NW of
The Indirect Namesake of Cuney, Texas
Photo courtesy Texas State Library and Archives
1920s Cherokee County, Texas Map showing Cuney as "Andy"
"C" in "CHEROKEE" near Henderson County line)
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here