in a Pecan Shell
Originally named Huffins for surveyor named R. M. Huffines who had settled
there, the town is believed to have started in the 1870s.
When a post
office was granted in 1881 the name submitted and accepted was Huffins. Three
years later the town had a population of 50 with a school, gristmill, saw mill
and two cotton gins. It had declined to 35 by 1890 and the post office closed
in 1905. Mail was sent through Viola.
seems to have reached its zenith in 1985.
In 1983 Huffines had a church,
a cemetery, a town hall, and a population reported at ninety.
name of the town and the family for which the town was named were referred to
in local newspapers alternately as Huffins or Huffines until well into the twentieth
Pleasant Hope Primitive Baptist Church|
Photo courtesy Gerald
Massey, June 2010
1907 Cass County postal map showing "Huffins"|
(East of Linden.
Under second "S" in C-A-S-S", near Louisiana state line)
Texas General Land Office