County, East Texas
U.S. Highway 59 and
FM 74, 96, 251, 2327 and 2791
7 Miles W of the Texas-Arkansas
3 Miles N of Atlanta
22 miles S of
Population: 1,613 (2000) 1,831(1990)
in a Pecan Shell|
Founded as a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1877. The name was
a favorite title bestowed on a variety of towns - for reasons of promotion. Galveston
was once refered to as the "Queen City" of Texas. Rarely, however, was a town
ever officially named Queen City.
A post office opened in 1877 as well
and by 1885 there were 650 people calling Queen City home.
An iron foundry
was built, but the ore was of poor quality and it eventually closed. Lumber was
Queen City's economic base - until the forests were all cut.
its heyday, the town had a population of nearly 400, declining to less than 300
In 1935 the Rodessa oilfield came in and ushered in a period
of new growth. The population rebounded to 500 in the 1950s and in 1991 there
were nearly 2,000 Queen Citizens.
Tourism has played an increasingly
important role in the economy.
Cass County postal map showing Queen City|
(Above last "S" in "C-A-S-S",
just N of Atlanta)
Courtesy Texas General land