in a Pecan Shell|
Settlement began in the 1850s and was named
after Milt Scroggins who operated the town’s first business – a sawmill.
East Line and Red River Railroad arrived in 1877, making Scroggins a shipping
A post office opened in 1891, and five years later the town had
three stores. First population figures were for 1914 when Scroggins reported 25
Scroggins was reduced to a single store in the Great Depression
although it kept its population intact. It grew to nearly 80 after WWII
and has slowly increased to 125 – the figure that has been in use since 1988.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels
- Book Here|