County, East Texas
Just W of Highway 42
Just S of Highway 64
About 4 Miles SE of New
W of Henderson
|History in an Oil
was no Selman City in the 19th Century. The town came into being with the discovery
of oil in the 1930s. The discovery was on the land of S. A. Selman, whose family
had been early Rusk County pioneers, therefore, he became the town’s namesake.
population peaked in 1947 with 450 residents. By the 1980 census it was down to
271 – the same number reported in 2000.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels