Current Hartley County Jail - ChanningRecorded
Texas Historic Landmark
Hartley County Jail - Hartley
Once had historical marker:
"Built 1892, during land boom.
been used as jail since 1903.
Texas Historic Landmark, 1966)"
landmark fallen into disrepair|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, July 2009
Location - Channing
County was created in January 1891, and an election held that year designated
the town of Hartley as county seat. A frame courthouse was built on the town square.
In October 1896, largely due to XIT
Ranch interests, a second election was held which resulted in the removal
of the county seat to Channing.
The frame courthouse was dismantled and moved to the new county seat, where it
In May 1905 the commissioners court approved the construction
of a new courthouse. Contracts were awarded to Solan & Wickens, contractors, and
O. G. Roquemore, architect. The 2-story, structure was completed in October 1906
at a cost of $10,525. The beaux arts style building features a triumphal arch
on the front facade, native sandstone base, and Roman Ionic paired columns. When
completed, the top story provided a courtroom and two offices, and there were
five offices and a lobby on the first floor. At the time of construction, the
building was served by its own water well and lighting system. A vault was added
to the county clerk's office in 1927. A second vault and jury dormitories were
built in 1935.
Texas Historic Landmark, 1987.
Centennial Highway Marker |
Location: Hartley - U.S. 87
Young and Bexar territories: Created, August 21, 1876. Organized, February 5,
1891. Named in honor of two brothers, Oliver Cromwell and Rufus K. Hartley. Distinguished
members of the Texas Bar. Hartley, the county seat.