a Pecan Shell
Canary Island immigrant Don Francisco Flores
de Abrego is credited with founding the town in the 18th century.
Don Francisco's ranch (six miles NW of present Floresville) was
essentially the center of things in the 1830s since the chapel and
cemetery were on his property. The community was later called Lodi
and under that name it served as the county seat from 1867 to March
1871, and from July 1871 to 1873.
When, in 1867, the town of Floresville (named after a local family)
was founded, the city limits include what had been Lodi.
The town was platted in the early 1870s.
A post office was granted in 1872 and the town was made county seat
the following year.
Things really got rolling in 1883, with the announcement of the
impending arrival of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad.
Floresville was thriving in 1885 with a population of 400, stores,
hotels and a weekly newspaper.
In 1890 when the population had reached 1,500, the town decided
to incorporate. Growth slowed somewhat, the population only increasing
to 1,800 by 1910.
From a population of 1,581 in 1931, it doubled by 1965. In 1990
it reached 5,414 in 1990. The city's proximity allows a relative
easy commute to San Antonio.
started with the introduction of irrigation by grower Andrew G. Pickett.
The town promoted itself as "Peanut Capital of Texas" although many
other counties surpass the Wilson
Since 1938 Floresville has had an annual Peanut Festival and
a cement peanut on the courthouse
lawn provides a photo-op for tourists.
Hotels > Book Here
"Lodi was located right on the SW
edge of present day Floresville on Trial Drive/CR 536. The railroad
used to pass right through it. Apparently the settlement of Lodi
shared the Floresville Depot as the Lodi
historical marker is directly across the road from the depot."
More Texas Depots
People and Stories:
A Guy So Nice - They Named Him Twice
Almost literally "born in a trunk" - Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez entered
the world in Aquilares, Texas
(now considered a ghost town) in 1926. His mother was a dancer from
Mexico and his father was a trumpet player from Floresville, Texas.
Mrs. Gonzalez performed under the stage name "La Perla Fronteriza"
(Pearl of the Frontier" and reportedly once danced for Francisco
"Poncho" Villa and his troops during one or another of the Mexican
Revolutions. ... more
in Floresville During the 30's by Lois Zook Wauson
shines bright over Wilson County by Lois Zook Wauson
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact