From Floresville take SH 97 approximately
5.5 miles NE and turn S on CR 404 to cemetery.
Located on the
Old San Antonio-Indianola Road, this rural settlement, named for nearby
Marcelinas Creek, began in late 1873, when Wiley R. Franklin (1837-93)
bought land in the area (1.5 miles S) and built a small horse-powered
cotton gin. In 1874, a Baptist congregation was organized, holding
services in the home of Gabriel Moffit; a one-teacher school opened
in 1875; and the cemetery was begun in 1882 with the death of Martin
Donaho. William Y. Elkins established a mercantile store in 1886,
and was named postmaster when the post office opened on Feb. 1, 1887.
By the mid-1890s, Marcelina had 2 stores, 2 cotton gins, a blacksmith
and wheelwright shop, gristmill, large school and church buildings,
and several homes.
From the beginning, the local economic base had been agriculture,
primarily cotton production, but in 1901, the crops became infested
with boll weevils
and the prosperous community began to decline. Improvements in transportation
diverted trade to Floresville
(5.5 miles W), and the advent of rural mail delivery caused the post
office to close on Oct. 1, 1906.
All that remains of the Marcelina Community are the cemetery and the
Baptist Church. The present sanctuary was erected in 1935. (1974)
Community Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Barclay
AKA Marcelina Baptist Church Cemetery
Hwy 97, CR 404
Photo courtesy Barclay
E on Hwy 97, S on CR 404; next to Marcelina Baptist Church
In 1876, Isaac
and Malinda Sims moved from Mississippi to Wilson
County's Marcelina community. Seven years later, they deeded part
of their land for a burial gound and the Marcelina Baptist Church.
Samuel Foster, Isaac's stepbrother, also deeded land, including the
site of his mother's grave, for burial purposes. Over time the two
cemeteries merged into one. The oldest marked grave, that of Martin
Donaho, dates to 1882. The cemetery continues to be used by the community.
A cemetery association, organized in 1954 by Sally Sims and others,
still maintains the burial ground, which remains a link to the area's
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003
County 1907 postal map showing Marcelina NE of Floresville
From Texas state map #2090
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact