in a Pecan Shell
The County was
named after Ben McCulloch who fought at San
Jacinto and served in the Mexican War. This was after he returned
from California where he had served as a Sacramento County Sheriff
about the time of the gold rush. He was a U.S. Marshall back in Texas
when the County was created in 1856. He and his brother Henry almost
started the Civil War when they demanded the surrender of the Union
garrison at San Antonio.
This would've preceded Fort Sumpter, had the Federals put up a fight.
Both brothers rose to the rank of General, but Ben was killed
and was interred in the Austin
State Cemetery. Henry lived until 1895.
A marble marker on the courthouse lawn states that Brady is "The
Geographic Center" of Texas. Another, more official marker
just North of Placid
on Hwy 377 is a bit closer, but we've heard the really, really exact,
smack-dab-in-the-middle center of Texas
is on a nearby private ranch. For awhile, due to a surveyor's 10 mile
error, the village of Whon in neighboring
was thought to be the geographic center. It's close enough to say
you've been there.
Texas Landmarks & Attractions
Former McCulloch County Jail (1910) contains the
Heart of Texas Historical Museum. One block off the square
at the Corner of High and Main Streets.
- Santa Fe Center at North Bridge St. The restored depot now functions
as an art gallery
Creek. - Eleven miles SW of town on Ranch Road 1311
- Brady was on the "Western" or "Dodge Trail" for
the herds of cattle that were going to Dodge City, Kansas. They
would go due North, crossing the Red River at Doan's Crossing.
- Outside Brady
| Last Run of
"Doodlebug" at Brady depot
Photo courtesy Mary L. Irving, Curator, Martin & Frances Lehnis Railroad
Postcard Courtesy of Wm. Petersen
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact