a Pecan Shell
Named after a daughter
of Colonel Hungerford, Railroad V.P., Louise dates to 1881, the date
the railroad came through. Hungerford had been a barber in New York
City and passed through Texas en route to Mexico during the Mexican
War. His beautiful daughters married well. Louise married a Mining
Engineer who struck it rich in Nevada, and Edna married a European
Count named Telferner. Together they formed a railroad company: The
New York, Texas and Mexican Railroad. Construction began from both
. This explains the town names for Edna,
and Mackay (Louise's
Dances were held on the second floor of the C.A. Wards store. Between
dances, couples would sit on caskets provided for seating.
Louise won the Wharton County Girl's Basketball Championship in 1925.
Team members were (among others) Louise Appling, Edna
Cook, and Ruby Friday.
Light and (5 o'clock) Shadow
In 1904 Louise had a combination Barber Shop/Photographer's Studio.
Charles Petter Prop.
In 1961 Louise had a unique "Outdoor Newspaper." Actually a billboard
updated daily, the "newspaper" was read by patrons of the Short Stop
Drive In, whose owner was the Editor.
State Bank Building
Built in 1903,
this handsome cornerstone-of-the-town, was closed in 1934 and reopened
in 1956. In 1974, when the new bank outgrew the building, it was given
to the city to be used for Chamber Offices. It has also served Louise
as the First Telephone Exchange, and had the Post Office in the rear
for a time. A County Library Branch was there as well, and apartments
were once on the second floor. Renters included the town watchman,
a Justice of the Peace and Texas Ranger Tom Heard.
The Bank was robbed in 1965, and while the money wasn't recovered,
the thief was captured. The beautiful vault door, visible today, came
from a bank in Houston.
Of note: The Vault had "a missing brick" which let air into the room
in case employees were locked in during a robbery.
Louis Chamber of Commerce: in the Old Louise State Bank
Lake Texana, 8 miles south on US 59.
9 miles north on US 59 is El
Campo and another 14 miles takes you to Wharton.
TE wishes to thank Eula Lee Crowell of the Louise Chamber of Commerce
for providing us with the material used in this condensed History
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact