a Mission in 1888, by Father Edward Brucklin, who became first resident
priest in 1892. An earlier frame structure was replaced by this stately
sanctuary in 1913, under direction of Father Joseph Szymanski (1873-1948),
who served the congregation for 42 years. The imposing edifice was
constructed of Elgin brick by Italian
and Mexican craftsmen directed by contractors L. M. and J. C. Dielmann
of San Antonio.
The Gothic revival architectural style reflects the central European
heritage of the Czechoslovakian and German settlers.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact